What does your child eat for breakfast? Have you looked at the ingredient list of the cereal? How much does it cost? How many nutrients do they get out of vegemite toast? How much salt, sugar and preservatives are in their breakfast?
Have you thought about using a plain and economical cereal (for example, porridge, weetbix) and adding some ‘super foods’?
It might be porridge with a dash of coconut milk and banana or weetbix with cinnamon and pumpkin seeds. It is fun for your child to choose each morning!
It just takes buying these ingredients and finding a container to store the coconut milk in and you’re ready to go. [Note: organic coconut, blueberries and cinnamon are definitely best as chemicals in these might be undoing the ‘super’ food factor.]
Talk to your child about the benefits of these foods:
– they make us feel happy
– they give us energy
– they help us to pay attention to learn
(whilst there is some contradictory opinions on the benefits of coconut milk, it appears the most recent thoughts are completely positive for coconut milk. Please make your own decisions!)
Coconut milk and breast milk are similar in regards to their pH levels, nutrient content and fat content. Because of this, the body can metabolize the fat faster to promote better bone health and brain development.
– helps to fight germs in our body
– gives us energy that we can use all day
– they help to keep us calm and sleep well at night
– they keep our hearts healthy
– they build our immunity, to keep us healthy and keep away colds
– they are good for our intestines, which help break down our food
– the good ‘bugs’ that help our intestines to stay healthy and keep the colds away
– help to clear eczema and allergies by protecting our intestines
– helps our brain to think and remember
– clears out the bad ‘bugs’ in our body
This is just the beginning in being creative + healthy!