– staying calm in what you say, how you act & your volume
– offering a hug
– seeing the problem from your child’s point of view, no matter how inconvenient the tantrum!
– identifying with your child & labeling emotions (‘it’s hard isn’t it’, ‘that was disappointing wasn’t it’)
– don’t offer lectures – the lesson learnt can be discussed when your child is cool
– don’t keep saying ‘no’ or ‘rubbing it in’
Whilst your child needs to learn lessons, they also need understanding that their emotions can be BIG and difficult to get over. No matter much you think it shouldn’t matter!
If you can help your child to regulate their emotions, they will get better at this as time goes on. And eventually you’ll be able to talk them out of even going down the meltdown road!