Some of the best ways to add nutrients to your child’s diet is not through over-the-counter children’s vitamins but through food! It’s also a nutritious way to add energy to your child’s day, particularly when you have an energetic one.
Have you heard of chia seeds?
– 500% more calcium than whole milk
– 500% more protein than red kidney beans
– 200% more iron than spinach
– 600% more Omega 3 than Atlantic salmon
– 100% more dietary fibre than bran flakes
– More antioxidants than blueberries, the list goes on..!
Linseed (also known as flaxseed)
– one of the most potent sources of Omega 3 oils – healthy brain, heart, joints, immune system
– improves dry skin, hair, nails
– helps asthma and allergies
– increases energy
– good source of magnesium
– contain phytosterols – enhance immune response
– contain vitamin E, an excellent antioxidant
LSA contains linseeds, sunflower seeds and almonds and can be bought pre-grinded at supermarkets or health food shops. But you can make your own, which is cheaper and fresher! It is easy to either grind in a chopper, mortar and pestle or any appliance that will just break the seeds up roughly or smoothly. This helps to release the nutrients. You just need to add equal quantities to suit whatever size container you will put it in. 30g each at a time makes a decent amount. By adding chia, you can make CLSA with far more nutrients again. If your blender doesn’t crush the chia, don’t worry as this one doesn’t actually need to be crushed to release the nutrients.
Then store the mixture in a container in the freezer (or it will go rancid fairly quickly). It lasts on and on as you really only need a spoonful here and a spoonful there. Try a teaspoon at first until you see how much you like to serve at a time 🙂
Some uses for CLSA:
– a spoonful on yours and the kids’ cereal
– in a smoothie
– in any baking
– in soups
– even on yoghurt or icecream – especially if you just give it a brief grind so it is still crunchy!
Just add chia, linseed, sunflowers and almonds to your shopping list 🙂
Remember to find us on facebook – I raise my kids